Over the last 11 years Aje has carefully built a culture where our people are supported, inspired and encouraged to be the best they can.
Along with our incredible team, our brand has an intrinsic sense of duality, balancing toughness with femininity, untamed volume with structure and signature statement pieces alongside effortless essentials. These complementing differences are what has allowed Aje to move with the motions of the retail landscape to become one of Australia’s most influential fashion houses.
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Head of Merchandising to join Aje. Based at new Sydney Head Office and reporting directly to the General Manager of Business and Operations, this role will see you design and own the ongoing merchandise strategy for our multi-brand vertical business, as well as manage the department to deliver on operational aspects of buying, planning and inventory management. You and your team will capture and surface market, customer and inventory performance insights and empower key internal relationships (Retail, eCommerce, Production, Go-To,Market and Logistics) to make sound commercial decisions that align to the Aje business strategy and ambitious performance goals.
As a Head of Merchandising, your tasks will include:
- Prepare and manage the company OTB strategy, in line with the annual performance objectives for all sales channels (retail, wholesale, e-commerce, exit pathways).
- Ensure the company’s short and long term revenue, profitability and performance objectives are able to be met from a merchandise perspective by preparing and maintaining the WSSI to benchmark.
- Proactively forecast and respond to risks and trends, in relation to both internal insights resulting from trade and general market opportunities.
- Design and direct rigorous core merchandise planning processes, ensuring product in season are maximised for the lifecycle of the product and aligned to the overall company direction
- Monitor trading performance each season and evaluate exit strategies to maximise sales and margin
- Deliver and embed consistent merchandise and reporting tools and processes that enable product performance awareness and insights for the wider business.
- Develop and pitch seasonal category plans, identifying opportunities to drive growth and determine product sales mix, stock levels, retail prices and margins.
- Drive the assortment planning methodology, determining the ideal assortment, both in width and depth and provide trend analysis to support informed and considered design development and buying decisions
- Ensure appropriate stock levels to meet new store openings, closures and marketing activity.
- Integrate and champion the brand’s key customer profiles and their tendencies into range plans and your merchandise recommendations
- Plan and coordinate the delivery of profitable and on-brand outcomes from a Merchandise and buying perspective.
- Play a critical role of hosting and sharing learns and new objectives on behalf of merchandise and for trade teams at seasonal range presentations, buying sessions and post-season reviews.
- Identify competitor trends including pricing strategies for different markets to propose growth opportunities across the merchandise business
- Lead and manage the Buying and Planning Assistant in the development, analysis and revision of sales, inventory and profit goals to ensure it is executed correctly and according to deadlines
You will bring:
- 5-7 years experience working within a multi-channel (retail, wholesale, e-comm, marketplace)
- Experience working with multi-brand/ vertical brand extensions
- Proven results as a commercial buyer and planner in similar or larger design-led brands, allowing for appropriate leadership of these functions
- Exposure to bringing new categories to market from ideation to implementation
- Strong understanding of design and supply chain processes to thoroughly understand what affects positive change and influence to deliver the best possible product
- Ability to lead a team through the coordination of workflows, setting clear objectives, inspiring performance, and autonomy
- Strong financial acumen to successfully manage the strategy for collection investment, in-season performance, and inventory lifecycle
- Willingness to immerse in the various trade formats as well as complete regular market research, ensuring merchandise strategies are executed with respect to the nuances of these channels
- Advanced knowledge of Excel, Joor, Shopify, VEND and other reporting tools
- Demonstrated ability to learn quickly and sustain the curiosity necessary to deepen expertise across a range of product and customer types that are relevant to Aje
- Ability to think strategically and creatively to understand current market trends and the ever changing buying psychology of the Aje customer
- Strong written and verbal communication skills are essential to ensure you can engage with senior peer group and integrate into a collaborative environment
- Experience working within a privately owned business or through PE Investment or mergers
We recognise the impact our team has on our success. To show our appreciation we want you to enjoy..
- Enticing salary packaging
- Your growth is our growth, training and development programs are recommended and encouraged!
- Stepping away from the traditional, Aje HQ is a sunlit space within Surry Hills that influences creative and collaborative thoughts. The awe will never diminish when looking at the curved arches, textured walls and open roof.
- Take advantage of the Sydney Sun with our Summer Friday Hours
- Celebrate milestones such as, Birthdays with Aje leave benefits
- Be a part of the change with increasing positive corporate responsibility, reflected through our Aje Aware Charter
- Be adored and recognised as no key achievement and success goes unnoticed!
- We appreciate our hard working teams however, a healthy work life balance is one in which we actively promote
- Embrace the Aje style with our generous employee discounts, pre-order programs, clothing allowances and regular sample sales
At Aje, diversity is a founding principle of the brand, taking inspiration from multicultural Australia throughout all visual communications since inception. We are committed to developing a culture and environment that celebrates diversity, equality and inclusion by promoting diversity in all forms and creating a safe environment for all employees, applicants and customers.